Friday 2 August 2013

Harvey Benge as Inspiration

A photographic artist whose work I have looked into is Harvey Benge. The following images are from his books Lucky Box, Killing Time In Paradise, and Four Parts Religion Six Parts Sin.

Thee first image confused me a lot, I knew it was an eggshell, but I thought the circular thing was a camera lens, it took me some time but I finally realized that it was a kitchen waste disposal. The unique close up distorts the image into something unrecognizable. A lot of Benge's photos do this, and sometimes it is the composition of these images rather than the things photographed that are the most interesting.

I have an appreciation for how he has turned such an ordinary sight into something well composed and interesting.


Another reason I like Benge's artwork is that he photographs things that are interesting, as in not seen everyday. Like this axe throwing bulls eye placed onto a tree.


Another interest of mine which Benge illustrates is photographing things usually not thought worthy of photographing, like the trash behind this building,
This trash compresser,
This wooden crate; Benge has the courage to look down to take his photos,

The corner of this pillar which has cracked off and then been painted over like nothing is wrong.

The above photos are places and objects that we rarely think about but often contribute towards.

Another reason I relate to Benge's work is that some of the things he photographs appear to be deliberately placed, whether by himself or someone else.
For example this woman underneath the tarpaulin, it seems to me that Benge has instructed her under there so he can create an image of just her legs. In these constructed images I like to construct a narrative to the scene, a reason why.
In the next image a tarpaulin is once again used, I think it creates mystery as to what may be underneath it. 


Another interesting aspect to some of Benge's photography is the use of reflection to blur two images together. This is a bit beyond my current capability but I will consider experimenting with this.

The previous image and the following image both appear to me set up by either Benge or someone else. also both images involve televisions and that is what I would like to focus on. for my upcoming set of photographs.




No comments:

Post a Comment