Wednesday 20 August 2014

12 Shots with Holga

The second project for this course is analogue. As far as photography goes this is the most design related project I have encountered.
At Friday's lecture we were shown examples of previous work and thoroughly intimidated by how extreme some of them were. One person made clothing out of their images, another made a scratch film that caught fire.

I had no idea that we would be encouraged to remediate our images in such extreme enthusiastic ways. Personally I am embracing it and I already have an idea that is a bit outside of the box.

I have taken 12 images on the Holga thus far and am getting these developed at the trusty image lab around the corner (developing film is rather pricey). Of the images I have captured people, landscapes and some interesting buildings. I am interested at seeing the finished product and the quality of these images. I did some experimenting with double exposures these will be interesting to view.

My interesting idea for remediation of these images occured in Otaki where after checking both ways I lay down on in the middle of the train tracks and took a photograph (at my own risk; don't try this at home). Here I had the idea that I could develop the image and tape it to the railway track and assess its texture after it has been run over by a train.
I have never done it before but my friends have told me that you can bend a coin by putting it on the train tracks, I want to try to achieve a similar effect with my photograph.

I have also thought about expanding this idea to include other forms of transport, for example I would take an image of my car and then tape the image to one of the cars wheels and drive a distance before removing it.


I am sure I could also try to do this with bicycles, skateboards, and other modes of transport, but first I will test it on the developed images and on the train tracks. (Safely of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment