Sunday 10 August 2014

Being a flaneur

The flaneur society's guide to getting lost asks if when navigating the city "what if there was no point B?" As a student who has known Wellington for my whole life there is little of it where I really can get lost, and in a life so full of other priorities it is hard to find the time to get lost in the city.

I have made my own flaneur rule: allow an extra half hour of travel time and travel a route that you usually wouldn't. I still have an eventual destination but my journey takes me to new interesting places.

I also follow good advice that I learn in photographics. Always carry your camera with you.

One of the ideas that came across when being taught of the flaneur was to lose ones inhibitions. In most of these photos I was intoxicated and therefore my inhibitions were lowered and I was more relaxed to make navigational decisions and photographic decisions.

From Newtown to Wellington after 9pm

From Wellington to Newtown after 1.30am

No comments:

Post a Comment