Tuesday 4 August 2015

Coke and Toothpaste

This weeks task is so far the one I looked forward to least. I am not confident in dealing with chemicals, I see them as dangerous and unnatural, I even sometimes call perfumes and liquid soaps poisons.

One idea that appealed to me however was relating chemical change back to high school science and also to food.
Topical at the moment as ever is the presence of acidity in coke products. Particularly in regards to children's dental hygiene.
A brief visit to the supermarket and I had purchased two contradictory products; Coke, and toothpaste.
By pouring coke into a pot and boiling it the water was able to evaporate out and increase the acidity .
A close look at some metal pieces boiling in coke.
A Bubbling cavity maker. 
After boiling it for a while I split it into two mixtures, each with half of the metal in them, one I left as it was, the other, I mixed in some toothpaste. I thought it might bubble as it neutralized with the coke, but it may have neutralized in a more subtle less reactive way.
I also applied some basic toothpaste to some metal screws and other bits,
Made for cleaning our teeth, what will it do to metal?
I left the toothpaste metal for a couple hours, then I added some boiling water to heat and dilute the toothepaste, and also more fully coat the steel.

I am to check the results as the week goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment