Thursday 6 August 2015

Melted Plastic

Some more home experiments with melting plastic which I have found at the beach. I created a cubicmold for the melted plastic. The first layer was made using plastic ropes and worked very well and was formed as a solid square a the base of the square mold.

My second batch I must have rushed and used the wrong plastic for because it burnt into a black blob and in my frustration and confusion I threw it into the mold all the same and joined it with the perfect bottom piece.

Once cooled down I could see that I had a lump of charcoal attached to a beutifully coloured block.
I experimented with the block all the same, taking to it with a hacksaw and the drill press. I could see centre of the block


A hacksaw cut a cross section in the block.


I was interested in the makeup of the centre of the plastic blocks.


A closeup of the holes and coloured surface, showing off the coloured marbling.

With more controlled experimentation, without using poor grade plastics I will be able to get some larger blocks of nicely marbled plastics.

No comments:

Post a Comment