Tuesday 15 September 2015

Fun with Solder

For the weekly task of using solder with another  material I initially wanted to try Solder in the cracks of a piece of wood. I grabbed the chainsaw out of the garage, headed out to the wood pile, and chopped me off a few pieces of wood of a suitable size.

Piece of pine with wood in a crack.
Perhaps if I wanted to succeed with solder and wood I would have to use a lot of it. It is fairly expensive stuff, so I'll wait for the next project before I use huge amounts of it.

Whilst using the soldering iron, I used it as a hot prodding tool on a couple of materials.
Hole in play dough made with the soldering iron.
PVA Plastic in the shape of a question mark (Kind of) Heated with a soldering iron.
 






The blow torch I used to melt the solder also cooked the dough.
The solder lego and its mould. Cooked orange by the hot metal.


My first attempt at a solder lego piece.

My second attempt of a solder lego piece.

The two metal pieces of lego were fairly successful, they interact with the regular lego pieces quite successfully. They shine brilliantly as the solder does naturally, and they generally look good. 

There are a couple of bubbles that could have been melted a bit better, but ultimately they look the part.











Plastic and Solder based legos; a sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment