Thursday 15 October 2015

Explore 3D Printing

Below is my first ever attempt at a 3D print. a pretty exciting feat, even if it is just the raft of a failed object.




As I was new to 3D printing during this course, I had to learn both the digital modeling software as well as the printing machines. The software I was using was actually very easy. I used 123D to create a shape and another program to send it to the printer.

All very exciting.

I had a couple more attempts but all I came up with were failures. I couldn't even make a raft that stuck to the printer.
However, they were my failures; and I'll love them,













I decided to stop what I was doing and print something smaller. The brief only said I needed to have a part of my object printed, it didn't have to be the center of attention. I figured out which printers were likely to successfully print something and began to work on a couple of smaller objects.

Success.

















Below is my first successful print. I had an idea that I could print one long cylindrical piece that had groovy rings cut into it and then judging on what I required I could just cut them off at the right size accordingly (I still think very much with hand tools) But it is probably just quicker to print several of the same thing when you need it.
I might get my head around not having all of the stuff readily accessible, rather, using the printer to make what you want a couple of hours before you need it.

So for a first print its kinda cute, I even butchered it a little bit trying to get the protective framework off. There, it has personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment