Monday 29 October 2012

Digital Pirate Map : Final




Victoria University of Wellington
School of Design
DSDN112: Intro to Interaction Design
Project 2B: Navigation Interface
Digital Pirate Map

I designed a futuristic technology similar to a map but with the function of being digital to enable quick and easy use as well as being built from a flexible material to enable easy storage and the ability to be folded to fit into one's pocket.

This short film illustrates the use of this technology.

A special thanks to Mantra for the use of their music 'The Bunnyman' and 'Flashback'
Also thanks to Juanitos for the use of their song 'Black Samba'

Thank you to everyone who helped me in the creation of this movie.







Here is the link to my completed video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNeS-HtTAls&feature=plcp

I wasn't quite happy with how it turned out, technology just wasn't on my side, there were supposed to be some captions throughout the party montage but these got cropped out for some reason, I also had other technical difficulties, overall I'm content with how it turned out, it could have been a lot worse.

In one of our studio sessions we were asked by our tutor to list five words that our movie should portray about the navigation system, my five words were


Simplistic, Quick, Compact, Malleable, and Themed. I think I managed to portray each of these five words.

Simplistic, the Digital Pirate Map was shown to have a simple use which Neil used well whilst under pressure from the group of angry people chasing them.

Quick, Neil used the map to navigate the four friends out of cemetery quickly enough so as to avoid being harmed by the angry people chasing them

Compact,Neil was able to tuck the map away in his pocket, when not using the map it was not noticeable most of the time, yet he still carried it.

Malleable, several times we saw Neil folding, unfolding, or rolling up the map, showing off the flexibility  of its structure.

Themed, one of the main features of the digital interface was that the user followed dashed lines to get to their destination which was marked by an 'X' just as a pirate map would be. In my movie I wanted to illustrate this point of inspiration by having the main character dress up as a pirate.

No comments:

Post a Comment